Monday, January 19, 2009

David Byrne in Hong Kong


The gospel according to David Byrne rolled into the HK Convention Center last night. It was his first time to perform here and he put on an awesome show (3 encores!) mixing tunes from his current collaboration with Brian Eno, Everything That Happens Will Happen Today together with Talking Heads classics. He brought along a seven piece band – drums, percussion, keyboard, bass, three backing singers and three....cheerleaders! (dancers).

The new material was gorgeous, warm and expansive, a true realization of the secular gospel he has been pursuing with Eno. There were moments of ecstasy - "One Fine Day", "Life Is Long", "Everything That Happens" - and funky whigouts - "Life During Wartime", "My Big Hands (Fall Through the Cracks)", "Once In A Lifetime". For "Burning Down The House" they slipped on tutus...

Set List:

Strange Overtones (Everything That Happens)
I Zimbra (Fear Of Music)
One Fine Day (Everything)
Help Me Somebody (Bush Of Ghosts)
Houses In Motion (Remain In Light)
My Big Nurse (Everything)
My Big Hands (Catherine Wheel)
Heaven (Fear Of Music)
Crosseyed And Painless (Remain)
Life Is Long (Everything)
Once In A LIfetime (Remain In Light)
Life During Wartime (Fear Of Music)
Air (Fear Of Music)
I Feel My Stuff (Everything)

Encore
Take Me to The River (Buildings And Food)
Poor Boy (Everything)

Encore
Burning Down The House (Speaking In Tongues)

Encore
Everything That Happens Will Happen Today

Everything that happens will happen today
And nothing has changed, but nothing's the same

And every tomorrow will be yesterday
And everything that happens will happen today

1 comment:

  1. I really liked this post... believe me you sound genius to me

    ReplyDelete