Other albums I enjoyed this year in no particular order:
1. All Day - Girl Talk. As a child of the 80s, this tickled my synapses.
2. Contra - Vampire Weekend. Word of the year: "Horchata".
3. Have One On Me - Joanna Newsom. Bucolic, melodic & epic.
4. Hawk - Isobel Campbell & Mark Lanegan. When syrup and salt mix.
5. Love Letter - R. Kelly. Still high as supaman!
6. Swanlights - Antony & The Johnsons. Breathtaking, brutal and literally ethereal.
7. One Life Stand - Hot Chip. If New Order and Jimmy Webb swapped heads.
8. I Learned the Hard Way - Sharon Jones & the Dap-Kings. Inner city make me wanna holler.
9. Odd Blood - Yeasayer. Right between MGMT's sweet pop & Animal Collective's rubbery math.
10. The Suburbs - Arcade Fire. A grower that turned into a keeper.
11. Small Craft On A Milk Sea - Brian Eno. In a year of no Radiohead, this does fine.
12. Crazy For You - Best Coast. The sounds of summer pumped through Maria, the robot lady from Metropolis.
13. This Is Happening - LCD Soundsystem. Good, sloppy techno. Finally.
14. Everything In Between - No Age. In a year of no new Japandroids, this duo will do.
15. Together - The New Pornographers. Cuz they're a genuine supergroup and not just because Carl Newman graduated from the same high school as I did.
1. "Tightrope" - Janelle Monáe
2. "Born Free" - M.I.A.
3. "Like Rock & Roll Radio" - Ray LaMontagne
4. "Power" - Kanye West
5. "Fuck You" - Cee Lo Green
Isle Of View - Jimmie Spheeris (1971). Gauzy folk crafted by a master astride a gryphon.
The Courage of Others - Midlake. After The Trials of Van Occupanther, my expectations were high. A couple of very good songs ("Acts of Man" & "Fortune") does not an album make. A snoozer.