Thursday, March 15, 2012

Robert Kroetsch: The Sad Phoenician

"Any resemblance
to persons living or dead
is coincidental,
believe me."
~ Robert Kroetsch, Preface to The Sad Phoenician
Tomorrow night is a celebration in Edmonton of the great Canadian writer, Robert Kroetsch. Hosted by Douglas Barbour, it's billed as "an evening of readings and remembrances" featuring:

George Bowering
Jenna Butler
Jeff Carpenter
Nicole Markotic
Roy Miki
Fred Wah
Thomas Wharton

Kroetsch, who died in a car accident last year, was born in Heisler, Alberta. He went on to win the Governor General's Award for fiction in 1969 for The Studhorse Man and received the Order of Canada in 2004. Known more for his poetry, he authored one of my favourite collections, "The Seed Catalogue," which inspired me to work on my long poem. The month after he passed, we moved to Edmonton from Hong Kong. As I was walking along Whyte Avenue, I ducked into Howell Books and picked up a vintage copy of the The Sad Phoenician. It helped me adjust to my old/new home.

No comments:

Post a Comment